Autumn Events Round Up
Less than two years since it’s launch, Devon-based independent online wine and spirit merchant, Wickhams has been included in the Decanter Retailer Awards 2022 shortlist in not one but three categories; ‘Best Specialist Retailer, England & Wales’, ‘Best Specialist Retailer, South and Regional France’ and ‘Best Small Online Retailer’. The 2022 Awards are more competitive than ever with entries epitomising the exceptional choice consumers have when it comes to buying wine in the UK.
Wickhams’ Founder Dan Farrell-Wright comments: “My aim with Wickhams is to provide easy access to great wine for everyone so to be shortlisted in three categories in such a prestigious and important retailer awards is hugely gratifying. It is an impressive achievement for such a young business and further proof we are doing lots right!”
At the core of Wickhams’ business is the desire to offer customers the chance to try new wines, whether in specially curated cases, the mixed-case-of-six value option or via their tasting events. All Wickhams events are interactive, lots of fun and come highly recommended. They are hosted by wine expert Pip Vanham AIWS DipWSET and Wickhams’ founder Dan Farrell-Wright, alongside other guest hosts. For online tastings, the wines are delivered through your letterbox in tasting size packets large enough for two pours, prior to the event, ready for you to enjoy from the comfort of your own sofa.
WINES OF RIOJA ONLINE TASTING
Friday 21st October 6.30-8pm, £10 (plus booking fee) Further information and link to book here.
October is Rioja Wine Month. To celebrate, Wickhams tasting team will explore the range of styles from this renowned and fascinating Spanish winemaking region. Join them to taste a variety of styles from Joven to Gran Reserva. Learn about the sub-regions (Rioja Alavesa, Rioja Oriental and Rioja Alta) and the newest classification: Vino de Puebla. If you think Rioja is all about heavy, oaky red wines, think again!
Bodegas Tarón Blanco 2021
Gómez Cruzado Blanco 2 Año 2019
Altos de Bergasa, Tempranillo Joven 2021
Hacienda el Ternero Crianza ‘Torno’ 2016
Señorío de La Eralta Gran Reserva 2016
Gómez Cruzado Reserva 2014
BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU 2022 ONLINE TASTING
Thursday 17th October 6.30-8pm, £FREE Further information and link to book here.
Every year Beaujolais Nouveau Day celebrates the release of France’s most popular vin de primeur (early wine). A light and fruity red made from Gamay grapes which have been grown and harvested by around 400 small farmers in the Beaujolais region, it’s bottled and sold within just 6-8 weeks of the grapes being picked.
Tasting the grapes on vine just before harvest suggested a good balance, but let’s face it, Nouveau is all about quaffing, celebration of the harvest and fun!
Two Beaujolais Nouveau wines and an English Nouveau wine will be tasted.
– Beaujolais Nouveau 2022, Domaine Bel Avenir From 4th generation winemakers Cecile and Alain Dardenelli. Their grapes are harvested from vines planted on an array of different terroirs: siliceous clay (St Amour), granite (Chenas) and limestone. The couple own vineyards in the Beaujolais-Villages plain as well as in the Crus of Juliénas, Chénas, St Amour and Fleurie.
– Beaujolais Nouveau 2022, Domaine de Mont Joly Jean-Baptiste Bachevillier does all the work in his three vineyards himself; he finds this to be the best way of ensuring the quality and sustainability of the grapes. His vineyards are all in the Beaujolais-Villages plains. He brings an interesting dimension having spent time studying at Plumpton College, England and making wine in Australia and the USA.
– Sharpham New Release, Sandridge Barton, Devon. For several years Sharpham have produced their “New Release”. Just like Beaujolais Nouveau this takes about six weeks from harvest to wine in the bottle. Unlike Beaujolais Nouveau, this is white and English.
WINTER WINE DISCOVERY
Saturday 19th November 12-6pm IN PERSON at the Mercure Hotel, Exeter Rougemont.
Early Bird £15.00 +£1.76 GA £30.00 +£2.93 Fee Further information and link to book here.
Discover Wickhams’ range of award-winning wines from around the World and get to taste them! Masterclasses will also be available hosted by Susy Atkins (telegraph.co.uk, Delicious mag), Pip Vanham AIWS DipWSET, Stephen Barrett (Western Morning News) and others.
The Exeter Mercure Hotel is located opposite Central Station, in the very heart of Exeter. It is perfectly located should you wish to travel to this event using public transport.
Wickhams’ tasting events are always fun and informal. You can try lots of wines, meet winemakers and attend masterclasses. Whether you are an amateur with a love of wine or a seasoned professional, there will be something for you.
Some of the wonderful winemakers Wickhams’ work with will be presenting their wines throughout the day. Below is a small selection of what you can expect:
– AR Lenoble, Champagne, France
– Bodegas La Eralta, Rioja, Spain
– Domaine de Mont Joly, Beaujolais, France
– Huxbear Vineyard, Devon, England
– Louis Père et Fils, Burgundy, France
– Mario Giribaldi, Piedmont, Italy
– Peter Falke, Stellenbosch, South Africa
– Sandridge Barton Wines, Devon, England
All priced at £5.00 +£0.98 Fee and include 5 or 6 wines to taste.
Masterclass 1 – Pip Vanham, AIWS DipWSET presents an alternative take on Christmas Day food and wine pairings.
Masterclass 2 – Susy Atkins, well-known wine writer and presenter (telegraph.co.uk, delicious mag.) presents There’s more to Beaujolais than Nouveau: an informative and fun look at the cru wines of Beaujolais.
Masterclass 3 – Stephen Barrett, wine writer (Western Morning News) and educator presents Off the Beaten Track Wines.
Masterclass 4 – Dan Farrell-Wright, Founder of Wickhams presents the Wickhams Classic Christmas Case.
Masterclass 5 – Lucy Hulland, Owner of Huxbear Vineyard presents The Vineyard Year.